German Grand Prix dropped from F1 Calendar
Thursday, 01 December 2016

Germany has been dropped from next year's Formula 1 calendar and the Brazilian Grand Prix is also in doubt, the BBC reports. 

The official calendar, to be published later on Wednesday by governing body the FIA, has been seen by BBC Sport.

It contains 20 races with Brazil listed as provisional.

 

F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone told the FIA he was still in talks with Brazil's president and could not confirm the race's place on the schedule until January.

The Canadian race in Montreal, which had also been in doubt, has been confirmed.

 

Germany was unable to complete a deal for the race to be held at Hockenheim. In the country's biennial swap deal, it is the turn of the Nurburgring but that circuit has financial problems and cannot host the F1 race.

The season starts in Australia on 26 March and ends in Abu Dhabi on 26 November. The British Grand Prix is on 16 July.

 

The race in Baku in Azerbaijan has been moved back a week to 25 June to avoid a clash with the Le Mans 24 Hours.

At the meeting, the FIA also said it had identified 11 corners at circuits around the world where changes needed to be made to ensure there was no controversy about drivers gaining advantage by going off the track.

 

This was a major issue at last month's Mexican Grand Prix, where there was a debate about incidents involving Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton and Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

It is likely that this will be dealt with by installing steep 'sausage kerbs' that slow cars down if they go off track.

 


Widget is loading comments...